Saturday, September 25, 2010

Isaiah 42:8

אֲנִי יְהוָה הוּא שְׁמִי וּכְבוֹדִי לְאַחֵר לֹא־אֶתֵּן וּתְהִלָּתִי לַפְּסִילִים׃

8 I am the LORD, that is my name. I will not give my glory to another, I will not give my praise to idols.

אֲנִי יְהוָה הוּא שְׁמִי I am the LORD, that is my name. In this simple sentence, God reminds Israel that although they had changed a lot, he is changeless. The Lord remains the Lord forever.

וּכְבוֹדִי לְאַחֵר לֹא־אֶתֵּן I will not give my glory to another, God has every right to be selfish and jealous about his glory, but in truth he could never give it to anyone else. He can glorify and sanctify his people, but his glory remains his own, for all time. But how can we leave this spoken as it is and also allow Jesus to say what he says in John 17:22, "I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one"? "Glory" here is paired with "praise" in the parallel colon. But we should also note the context of John 17:22:

What is the glory God the Father gave to his Son? It wasn't something he was given before the Creation, because Jesus isn't lacking anything at all in his divine nature (there would have been nothing to give). And since Jesus gave the same glory to "them" (all believers -- the subject of the third part of high High Priestly prayer), then it was something given while Jesus had taken on his human nature; in fact, it was instantly given to Jesus from the moment of his conception, since he was immediately recognized as the Lord even then (Luke 1:43-44). And we should point out that this is not the glory of a certain office (a job, a career, or calling), nor of the ability to perform miracles or speak in parables, since not all believers have these gifts. If we recall John 17:1-2, we will see that the glory given to this human man and which is passed on to us is the "authority to give eternal life." Christ did this with his own blood, and we do it with the message of Christ's blood. Luther seems about to propose an alternative but only says that this glory is Christ. "All the ungodly, too, shout about the glory of God but meanwhile arrogate this divine work to themselves, as Paul says to the Galatians, "that they may glory in your flesh" (Gal. 6:13).
וּתְהִלָּתִי לַפְּסִילִים I will not give my praise to idols. תְהִלָּתִי "my praise" is also found in the title of the Psalms, tehillim." The Mp note that וּתְהִלָּתִי occurs just twice calls our attention to Isaiah 48:9. A פָּסִיל is an idol, especially of wood or stone as opposed to the cast metal idols like the נֶסֶךְ of 41:29. Another Mp note says that לַפְּסִילִים occurs four times written plene (Judges 3:19; 3:26; Isaiah 42:8 and 2 Chron. 33:22).

No comments:

Post a Comment