Monday, November 29, 2010

Isaiah 43:25-28

Verse 25
אָנֹכִי אָנֹכִי הוּא מֹחֶה פְשָׁעֶיךָ לְמַעֲנִי וְחַטֹּאתֶיךָ לֹא אֶזְכֹּר׃

25 I, I am am he who blots out your transgressions for my own sake, and remembers your sins so more.

Note the emphasis of the reduplicated אָנֹכִי אָנֹכִי, "I, I." The emphasis in on God alone; perhaps אָנֹכִי אָנֹכִי הוּא also draws out attention to the Trinity. מֹחֶה "exterminates, blots out" qal participle.

Verse 26
הַזְכִּירֵנִי נִשָּׁפְטָה יָחַד סַפֵּר אַתָּה לְמַעַן תִּצְדָּק׃

26 Review the past for me; let us judge together. State the case so that you may be justified.
נִשָּׁפְטָה "Let us judge," nifal cohortative. Irony: "Oh, what have you done again? Remind me?"  סַפֵּר piel imperative "set out your case."

Verse 27
אָבִיךָ הָרִאשׁוֹן חָטָא וּמְלִיצֶיךָ פָּשְׁעוּ בִי׃

27 Your first father sinned, your intercessors transgressed against me.

"Jacob" (verse 28) is the namesake, but could equally have been Adam or Abraham.

Verse 28

וַאֲחַלֵּל שָׂרֵי קֹדֶשׁ וְאֶתְּנָה לַחֵרֶם יַעֲקֹב וְיִשְׂרָאֵל לְגִדּוּפִים׃

28 So I profaned the princes of the temple and I delivered Jacob over to destruction and Israel to scorn.

"So I profaned" piel waw-consecutive imperfect 1 sg (וַאֲחַלֵּל ). Could "I delivered" be "Let me deliver" (cohortative)? No -- this is the long form of the imperfect for emphasis.

When God says "your first father," he could equally by talking about the father of Israel (Abraham, or Israel himself, Jacob), or else he could be going all the way back to the first father of us all, Adam.

There are some sins that plague whole families and whole nations. God held all of Israel (the northern tribes) accountable for the sin of its first king, Jeroboam I: "Jeroboam did not change his evil ways, but once more appointed priests for the high places from all sorts of people. Anyone who wanted to become a priest he consecrated for the high places. This was the sin of the house of Jeroboam that led to its downfall and to its destruction from the face of the earth" (1 Kings 13:33-34). Having done that with the north, he now turns south to Judah.

"Let's see," he says, "what have you got to say in your defense? Nothing? Nothing at all." Exposed to the white light of God's true judgment, we can't hide anything, and we can't face him. We stand condemned. God's offer of forgiveness to Israel was still on its way. But God's offer of forgiveness to you doesn't need to wait any longer. In Jesus, your sins have been paid for. Confess them; let go of them, and know that God has made you a new creation through his Son, our Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment